On 14-07-31 07:44 PM, Kenward Vaughan wrote:
In my quest to set up a computational lab at my school, the IT department has offered us the freedom to create this specialized lab as long as we aren't hooked up to the school's network--we are to be completely isolated. They have no one to maintain it software-wise (we will be doing that), and (I believe) fear security breaches, etc, emanating from there.

They would allow us to go outside through the Wifi spots, though, as long as it is through the open (insecure) side. There is an accessible secure (internal) network as well.

Is there a way to set up pfSense either on the internal server or a separate Internet side box to control outbound traffic by having it sign into that network then having the other machines have access?

I'm not any sort of network person (self-taught in Linux/computers in general), so please accept my apology up front if this is an idiotic question.

Thanks!

Kenward

Short answer: Yes, this can be done. Please have someone with networking experience set this up, unless you want to spend the next few months learning networking! This isn't really a pfSense-related issue at this point.

Easiest, surest (but not cheapest) way: get a separate DSL or Cable connection for your lab, and connect to the internet through that link (possibly using pfSense). Don't connect to the existing school [wired] network or WiFi [network] at all, not even the public wifi.

Cheaper (and still secure): if the school has a firewall (it most likely does), ask if you can be connected to a dedicated interface on that firewall. That way, IT still has control over what you can and can't access, and they can protect themselves from you.

Also cheaper (and still secure): the school's WAN provider may allow you to connect more than one device to the WAN connection. This might require adding a switch between the service provider's equipment and the school's firewall, if the service provider doesn't give you a multi-port device of some sort. Either way, you plug your dedicated (possibly pfSense) firewall into another port on the WAN device. Many DSL & Cable providers install a "modem" that includes a 4- or 5-port switch built right in.

Most difficult to get working: install your firewall (possibly running pfSense) as a client on the school's public wireless network. I'm not sure if pfSense even supports this natively; you may have to use an external ethernet-to-wireless bridge (but these are fairly common devices now, anything sold as a "travel router" can probably do it, most SoHo routers & APs can do it, too). There are many variables here, and many things to get wrong. On the other hand, this requires relatively little (i.e. possibly even zero) effort from the existing IT group, and doesn't cost much.

If you have to "sign in" to the public WiFi network, especially through some sort of login web page (like you do at public hotspots) then connecting a firewall to it is probably not going to work well, if at all...

--
-Adam Thompson
 athom...@athompso.net