> With Squid disabled, fail over works as expected.

In the lab I created to test this machine, I have squid with havp set to
transparent. Also have snort. I don’t use squidguard.

If I disconnect wan #1, most browsers will time out. But I can often just
refresh to get them going again. Squid never complains.

There are a couple of remote clients and programs that have to be closed and
then opened again after the gateway fails. (maybe because they cache
something?)

I'm pretty happy with it.

>(49) Can't assign requested address

What is your client connecting to? Is it some sort of secure remote session? A
disconnect cannot be avoided with any type of secure connection. You're
changing external ip addresses when it falls over, after all.

Are you able to recover normal connections to google or youtube, etc.? Close
the browser and try again after waiting for the switch to happen.

There are settings for how long it takes pfSense to decide a gateway is down,
and how it determines its down. I use just 'packet loss'.