Den 02-11-2014 16:48, Morten Christensen skrev:

Den 02-11-2014 06:12, Chris L skrev:
On Nov 1, 2014, at 4:07 PM, Morten Christensen <mc-m...@g.mc.cx> wrote:

I am going to setup pfSense as gateway/firewall in front of a small wireless broadband system with 10 to 20 houses connected.

We want to prevent one single house from taking up all bandwith, when other users can use their share, but not to restrict anyone unnessessary, when demand is low.

I have found howto's that make permanent limits on each users or ip-numbers bandwith, They seems to make that limitation without taking care of, if the limitations is needed. Other howto's shows how to make smarter QOS limitations based on different applications like telephones versus http-download that is only active, when a service actually needs the bandwith.

Do you know of howto's that can limit users bandwith, when the line is under heavy use, but not, when that user is alone on the line, and that do not care if the user is downloading an ISO, streaming HDTV or making a video-conference ?

You create a limiter for the total amount of bandwidth available, then create a child limiter that masks on IP addresses.

Make a limiter for uploads masked on source addresses and a limiter for downloads masked by destination addresses.

Everyone has the full capacity unless/until there is contention.

The steps are outlined starting here:

https://forum.pfsense.org/index.php?topic=63531.msg364520#msg364520
I have tried to follow the screenshots from foxale08 (took some time to understand, the the images is only shown, when you are loged in to the forum).

I lost the track between no. 22 and no. 23. Can anybody tell, how I come to those options, or if they are still needed ?
Found the next step (Firewall, Rules, Lan).

--
Morten Christensen