This is even cheaper: 5 G ports for $36. It is 'managed' but you need to dig deep into the configuration. A manual is available on-line -> http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/SwOS

http://www.balticnetworks.com/mikrotik-routerboard-rb-260gs-complete-with-enclosure-and-power-supply-fiber-enabled.html

I have one, but haven't dug very deep.

Don't know if it will do your VLAN

Bob G

On 12/13/2014 08:06 PM, Chris Bagnall wrote:
On 14/12/14 1:56 am, Brian Caouette wrote:
I believe this apu4 has 3 gig ports. I'm curious if i can plug one into and old hub i have to give me more.

More physical ports, yes. More interfaces in pfSense, no. If you want the latter, you'll need a VLAN-capable switch. But things like the HP 1810-8G (gigabit on all 8 ports) are so cheap these days you might prefer just to buy new.

Also if the hub is 100 meg will it bring down the lan port or just
affect this one port and everything on the old hub?

Only everything attached to it - the other ports on the APU wouldn't be affected. But see above, I don't think it's going to give you what you want (more interfaces to configure, I presume).

In the future I'd like to get a gig switch and pull cat 5 thru the house to complement the wireless. Is there an advantage to a managed switch? I'm not sure what I'd gain with it?

VLAN capability and ability to enable/disable ports remotely are the obvious ones in a small network. In larger networks, things like span ports (for IDS), 802.11x port authentication (to stop people plugging dodgy things into your network), LACP (bonding links between switches), flow control, etc. etc. make managed switches worth their weight in gold.

As above, though, the cost difference between a decent (light-) managed switch and an unmanaged switch is pretty negligible these days, so there's only a very marginal cost saving to be made, and you never know when those management features come in really handy.

I use an HP 2510-24G at home, which is probably an overkill. The cheaper 1810-24G has the basic management capabilities listed above, and is fanless, which makes it a good choice for a home or small office environment.

(I've listed HP models because that's what I've experience with, no doubt other manufacturers have similar models. Just watch out for some of the cheap Netgears that claim to be 'managed' (model beginning J I think) - they have a horrible Adobe Air management app that only works from a Windows PC, and only on the subnet the device is connected to)

Kind regards,

Chris