> Is it impossible to try to improve on pfSense 2.2's problem in pfSense

You might not be the only person having the problem, but I haven't
researched to know for sure.

Sometimes, it's possible to do the work and discover the problem yourself.
There are a few areas of experimentation that might lead to the problem, or
to the solution...

First of all, it's possible that there is a problem with that version of
pfSense. Something that may be fixed before or after its release.

Or, its possible there is a problem with the drivers for the virtual nics in
that version of freebsd. Guess that would be either the 100baseT Realtek NIC
emulation, or the xenserver NIC drivers if you have managed to install
those.

You can see if a better or newer driver exists. I have compiled realtek's
newest freebsd drivers myself and used them, for example.

If you were to try the e1000 emulation as suggested in the url I posted and
saw no improvement, that knowledge might be a great help to the community.

Finally, there's the actual server hardware itself. Its takes a certain
speed and type cpu to host virtual machine firewalls. Also, certain brands
of network cards perform better than others. Maybe you can describe these...