I noticed that after a re-install of 2.2.2 (with sections of config file
from 2.1.5 and several reboots) syslog to remote was not sending any
data.

The settings at
https://fw.site/diag_logs_settings.php
were all correct (Remote Syslog Servers, IP address) and just saving the
page sends syslog data from pfsense to a remote host.

Now there is no syslog data again. Saving the above page as is makes it
flow out again.

I conclude that under some condition(s) pfsense stops sending syslog
data to a remote host. What might those conditions be, and where do I
start looking?

The last line logged is
  ...T02:57:57.142885+12:00 xx syslogd: sendto: Operation not permitted
pfsense has been up since well before that.

TIA, and thanks for fixing that useless syslog format!!

Volker

--
Volker Kuhlmann
http://volker.top.geek.nz/      Please do not CC list postings to me.