Hello.

I have been recommended to install and use pfSense to replace my
existing firewall, which is Firestarter running on an old and
unsupported version of Debian Linux.

I have looked at the pfSense documentation, including the Installation
Guide for pfSense, and I have the following two queries.

Does installing pfSense, especially, using the "Quick/Easy Install
option", allow for installation so as to allow for multiple boot
options (being able to choose an alternative boot option)? Rather than
obliterate the existing firewall installation, I would prefer, if
possible, to be able to install pfSense "alongside" the existing
firewall installation, so that, using a bootloader like GRUB, if I
have any problems with operating or configuring pfSense, or, with the
installation procedure, or, subsequent updating, of pfSense, I could
revert to using the existing firewall installtion, to allow me
Internet access, to be able to seek assistance.

The second query is thus; from what I understand, the "pfSense Default
Configuration" has "LAN is configured with a    static IPv4 address     of
192.168.1.1/24". Is it possible, with the "Quick/Easy Install option",
to retain the current LAN configuration, where the network card that
goes outside, uses DHCP, and the network card that interfaces with the
LAN behind the firewall, uses a slightly different IPv4 address range;
eg, if it instead used 192.168.3.1/99 ?

Thank you in anticipation.

--

Bret Busby