On Fri, May 27, 2016 at 10:00 PM, Walter Parker <walt...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just plugged a small WDC USB 2.0 hard drive into my pfSense firewall as
> an external, second drive and everything booted:
> da1 at umass-sim1 bus 1 scbus7 target 0 lun 0
> da1: <WDC WD25 00BEVS-22VAT0 11.0> Fixed Direct Access SCSI device
> da1: 40.000MB/s transfers
> da1: 238475MB (488397168 512 byte sectors)
> da1: quirks=0x2<NO_6_BYTE>
>
> But when I tried to plug in a Seagate 2TB or 4TB drive (USB 3.0), the
> system crashes with a power outage and doesn't restart (even after a power
> cycle). It appears as if it doesn't post because the network indicators
> never start flashing and the console never shows any output.
>
> When plugged into a full sized desktop/server running FreeBSD 10.3, it
> shows:
>
> da0 at umass-sim0 bus 0 scbus8 target 0 lun 0
> da0: <Seagate BUP BK 0304> Fixed Direct Access SPC-4 SCSI device
> da0: Serial Number XXXXXXX
> da0: 400.000MB/s transfers
> da0: 3815447MB (7814037167 512 byte sectors)
> da0: quirks=0x2<NO_6_BYTE>
>
> My first guess would be that the first drive takes less power than the
> second. My second guess would be that there is some incompatibility between
> the USB2.0 on the the Atom board and the USB3.0 on the drive (on the full
> FreeBSD machine, the drive is plugged into a USB3.0 outlet).
>
> If I got USB drive with an external power supply, could I use a 4TB drive
> on the firewall?

There is a recently-discovered issue on those systems with USB devices
that draw power more heavily. If you plug it in before powering up,
it'll be fine, just can't while the system's running. An external
drive with its own power supply should be fine. Anything plugged into
a powered USB hub is fine.