Has anyone had success adjusting MTU on OpenVPN tunnel adapters to deal with loss amplification across tunnel networks?

By default the MTU on an openVPN adapter(s) are set to 1500, but it seems that performance in lossy conditions might be dramatically improved by changing the MTU to something smaller to prevent packet fragmentation across the tunnel network (e.g. to account for the encrypted packet's IP overhead, such that one packet could be encapsulated by one packet of the tunnel network). It seems that if the MTU's are the same, one would invariably end up with frequent fragmentation, greatly increasing the packet loss amplification on lossy (e.g. wireless) networks, and exaggerated falloff of application performance as packet loss increases. This is also consistent with what I observe.

I understand that this artificial constraint would result in lower performance in high quality connections, but am I on the right track to dealing with performance on lossy networks? If this is conceptually correct, so would I also need to explicitly tell OpenVPN not to fragment in general? Any big-picture guidance would be much appreciated.