Hi Luc,

here's my basic naming convention

names are composed with this pattern

{optional prefix}*{nature}-{relevant information that depends on the nature}-{sequence number}*-{optional_suffix}

for the alias in pfSense I use the same convention and
- the "net" nature for a network
- the "g" as a prefix when it's a group of something

i.e.
gvs-dmz1 : group of virtual server of dmz1
gs-freenas-SiteName = group of freenas servers in SiteName
gNet-SiteName = group of networks of SiteName
gNet-dmz-sitename = group of networks of all dmz of sitename

*examples of {nature}

*s : server

d : desktop
l : laptop
p : printer
c - camera
m – machine (production)
id - id scanner

sc / ss / sd / sa : switch core / site / distribution / access
fw - firewall
ap - wifi access point
r - router
lb - load balancer
net - network

prefix
"v" if it's virtual (I still don't make a difference between complete vm, jails, containers)
"g" if it's group

suffix
## - sub sequence number for switches in stack
oob - out of band connectivity

*examples of {relevant information}*

_for a switch :_

{nature}-{sitename}-{geographical information that is basically the technical room name}-{sequence}

i.e. "sa-tokyo-a22-3"

        nature : access switch
        site : tokyo
        geo : technical room A22 = building A / floor 2 / 2nd room
        sequence : 3rd switch

i.e. "sd-shanghai-57E-2-4"

        nature : distribution switch
        site : shanghai
        geo : technical room "57E" = floor 57 / est
        sequence : stack 2 / 4rd switch

note : SiteName must be unique so I try to choose names that are more precise then just the town, usually it's the building name or the street name..etc...

_for a server_

{nature}-{server_type}-{sequence}-{optionnal_suffix}

i.e.
s-freenas-paris-1
s-freenas-paris-1-oob
vs-proxy-newyork-1