An update on this, if the master node is rebooted during a failure, the secondary node takes cover correctly and remains the master as would be expected.

This makes me think that the priority is set correctly but the second node for some reason isn't honoring the advskew set by the master correctly.

To illustrate what I mean-

-------------------
| Node A | Node B |
-------------------
| M M    | B B    | Normal, Node A is master on all CARP IP's
| M X    | B M    | Failure, incorrect though.  Node B should be master.
| - -    | M M    | Node A Offline, B takes over as master correctly
| B X    | M M    | After restart, correct behavior.  Node B is master.
-------------------
M - Master
X - Down
B - Backup

I've also ran through the CARP troubleshooting guide here to no avail. https://doc.pfsense.org/index.php/CARP_Configuration_Troubleshooting

Let me know if you need more information or clarification, I'm not sure the best way to illustrate / communicate my problem.

---
Thanks,

Andrew Kester
The Storehouse