On Dec 4, 2017, at 8:11 AM, Eero Volotinen <eero.voloti...@iki.fi> wrote:

> Well. is that really so hard?
>
> thinking to add carp ip addresses and switching them to main addresses by
> editing xml backup and then restoring it to firewall..
>
> I have same hardware (3* sg-8860). one for backup..

It depends on how complicated your setup is.

If there were lots of interfaces and physical interface name changes, I might
edit the configuration to change the interface names and the interface
addresses (many people use .2 for the primary, .3 for the secondary, and .1 for
the CARP VIP, for instance) but after that I would use the GUI to make the
HASYNC interface, VIPs and configure HA.

I would not try to configure the secondary that way. I would configure it from
scratch and let the configuration for everything exceopt the interfaces, etc
sync over.