> On Dec 24, 2017, at 9:45 AM, Chris L <c...@viptalk.net> wrote:
>
> Not a bug. That is by design. Create the rules to pass the traffic you need
> to pass on OPTX interfaces after you create them.

That's inconsistent with the LAN interface which has secret undocumented
default rules that allow self traffic to the firewall from the interface
network segment by default. To me this inconsistency does feel like a bug.

>> Again, not a bug.

There's a long open bug for it actually:

https://redmine.pfsense.org/issues/5826

It will break your configuration whenever you configure IPSec between an OPT*
and a remote destination whose CIDR block happens to be a superset of your
interface CIDR block and you have been using any local service like DNS, HTTPS,
SSH, etc. on the firewall. The traffic will be misrouted through the tunnel due
to missing logic for bypassing the firewall self traffic from the tunnel.

Matthew.