May be wrong, but I think without nano, you can only install full, which
will thrash the CF in short order.  But I see someone on EBay selling one
preconfigured for the xtm 5 series.
No headers for a 2.5" drive inside, eh?  Here's a guide, but you'd still
need a CF adapter or machine with a CF slot for install.
https://doc.pfsense.org/index.php/Upgrading_64-bit_NanoBSD_2.3_to_2.4

>I've had good luck in similar cases by installing on a generic machine then
putting the media in the target box.