Mike Brown wrote:
With a looming winter power shortage in New Zealand, Webstock <www.webstock.org.nz> has decided to act now and do our bit to help save energy. We've redone the site in a way we're convinced is a model for more rational and sustainable energy use.

One thing I don't understand:

| It's important to put this in light of repeated downloads of such a
| high traffic site (which, incidentally has saved even more through
| refusing to provide unnecessary "Last-Modified:" headers in each HTTP
| request response)

That doesn't make sense. The use of Last-Modified headers assists with caching, so by not including them, you're effectively preventing caches from storing your page at all. You'd save even more power if you let caches store your page by sending a Last-Modified header. Maybe even more so if you sent appropriately set Expires, Cache-Control and other related headers so that they know how long they can store it without checking for an updated copy.

About half way down the page, this occurs:

Looks like you've made an error with SSI.

Lastly, why don't you save even more bandwidth and stop sending all that useless HTML markup :-). Why not just send text/plain?

--
Lachlan Hunt
http://lachy.id.au/