Chris Taylor wrote:
Hi,
[big snip]
While we're a friendly, sharing, caring bunch at the moment, just how
much of your code would you want to be copied before you considered it
to be a breach of your intellectual property? After all, we'd come down
pretty hard on someone if they ripped our entire site design off, but
what if they copied 90% of our CSS or HTML and used it in a way that
didn't _look_ the same. Would we flame them, sue them, or just send a
polite email requesting they played a bit more fair?

Anyway, there are some interesting moral and legal issues here, and if
anyone wants to continue this discussion that is sailing very close (or
way over, maybe) the 'off-topic' equator please mail me off-list.

Regards

Chris

Speaking purely for myself, I don't think the coding aspect of our work is what matters most. Sure, I've got all kinds of little 'thanks to Joe Bloggs' comments in my markup, but, at the end of the day, it's the way the code is used (ie, the visual design) that matters. If a 'Creative Commons' type thing can be applied to the design I'd be very interested.

The design is what we produce - under the bonnet is only what we on this list talk about :-)

(BTW, I consider this to be very ON TOPIC for this group - I've already learnt valid stuff from Lachlan, e.g.)

--
Best Regards,

Bob McClelland

Cornwall (UK)