At 02:56 PM 5/1/2006, CK wrote:
At the following URI the navigation is in an unusual place, the "footer." Does this pose an issue, as the text will be tamed, keeping the design above the "fold". Also, the naming convention in the CSS, could it be more succinct?

<http://working.bushidodeep.com/spring_2006/index_footerNav.php>http://working.bushidodeep.com/spring_2006/index_footerNav.php

I like the overall layout & graphic treatment. With content this spare, the bottom placement of the nav menu doesn't seem vital for usability.

However, as I zoom larger in Firefox, the content cell grows vertically but not horizontally so the nav/footer sails downward and off the screen, and the nav menu text expands outside its fixed-width container. Why not size your containers in ems and allow the layout to grow with a more consistent aspect ratio? It would mean an expandable frame for your content, slicing it into pieces to enable it to grow horizontally and not just vertically, which would in turn mean a slightly more complicated markup.

Enlarging the font like that also makes it clear that the apparent centering of the nav menu in its box is spoofed; it only looks centered at a certain ("normal") font size. I'd try for true centering so that it doesn't uglify.

With everything else centered, your subcontent menu looks mistakenly off-center. Also, its text/background color contrast would probably fail WAI standards. If it's your intention to obscure it or minimize its importance, why put it first in the markup and layout?

With regard to the succinctness of your markup & CSS, do you really need the div#header around your h1? All you're doing with it is positioning it relative, which I'd think you could do with the h1 itself. Also I'd see if I could remove the divs from around the two menus.

Regards,
Paul