Michael Yeaney wrote:
While frames may be horrible for search engine crawling and
bookmarking, IMO they are a godsend for web-delivered rich
applications (i.e., when you don't want people jump in at random, and
you need to give the solid feel of a 'real' desktop app.)....these
types of things aren't usually crawled by search engines though,
either.  Some examples that come to mind are M$ Outlook Web Access
(even though it's only IE), CheckPoint firewall admin tools (all web
based), etc.

That said, I would NOT use them for public domain, accessible, content
delivery web sites (as mentioned in previous posts).

Just my $.02.

(Flame suit on)
Mike

Well I /would/, and indeed do! If the user is going to be moving about a lot from one menu item to another, frames are brilliant. Yes, I know I can emulate them with position-fixed, but it can be an awful mess to maintain. Also, you can overcome the 'lost pages' problem by using something like :

<script type="text/javascript">
   if (parent.location.href == self.location.href){
     window.location.href = 'frameset.html'
       }
</script>

at the top of each relevant page. Bookmarking is not a good point, as has been said, but it isn't all that difficult for a person if the bookmark takes them to the frameset instead of the page - it's only one click, after all.

Lastly, I get many, (many), compliments on the simplicity of use of http://www.raintreehouse.co.uk - and it's based on frames. Sometimes (not always) the advantages far exceed the disadvantages.

(retires behind heat shield . . . ) :-)

--
Best Regards,