James Laugesen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

    "Hi Mike, I could see the link correctly and sent you the email.
My email body was not poopulated correctly (GMail notifier mailto handler)
but I put the details in manually.

I'm interested in discussion on this topic... how did you determine this was
the best approach?
Bots can always parse [at] and [dot] (assuming you didn't intend to replace
with an image) and report fake user agents.

J"

---

Hello James,

Thank you for helping. I knew there would be problems with the body data so
I appreciate you filling in the blanks, so to speak. That part, gladly, is
just for the test. :-)

Regarding best approach: I wasn't really satisifed with the JavaScript
solution. (Plus I wanted to challenge myself with it.) And trying to do
something server-side was just fraught with challenges without making the
user interact by submitting something to reveal the email -- to make it
passive and "just work." This seemed to be the only viable solution I could
come up with (this project produced a lot of saw dust). I didn't even think
it would work and was actually surprised by the positive result, so far.

I thank you kind sir, as I did not know that [at] and [dot] would be parsed,
but I did have some suspicions because that formatting is fairly
ubiquitous -- it's all over php.net. I wonder, for the sake of styling I
wrapped each of those bits in a span. Will that further obfuscate it to the
point of being effective?

Example:

An image worries me because then I end up with a potential accessibility
barrier. Easy to overcome with an embedded image and alt text, but then that
leads me to ask... will that email formatting be parsable within the alt
attribute. If so it's back to the grindstone, but if not, hmm, that could
lead to an even simpler solution.

Your thoughts?

Sincerely,
Mike Cherim