David Dixon wrote:

You are probably correct that if using a screen reader, the user would more than likely get the same information from the page, however the flow at which they get the information would not be the same as someone without visual impairment. That is the difference from making content simply accessible, to making the content accessible an usable (ie ensuring that the flow of information is as you intended).

Fine, I'll agree to disagree with you here then. To me, having the ALT text in there

Accessibility Testing & Consulting - A wheelchair. A symbol for accessibility - Accessibility is a term...

Is redundant, compared to

Accessibility Testing & Consulting - Accessibility is a term...

In fact, I'd say the latter is *more* usable, as there's less irrelevant noise which doesn't do anything other than provide visual fluff.

Also, I do not see a difference between the usage of the images John is intending to use, and the images that you use for your photographia.co.uk homepage list.

You may notice that I haven't updated or worked on photographia for, oh, over 2 years now. At the time, the most reliable markup for my intended layout required me to stick in an IMG element. If I had to rework the site now, I'd include those thumbnails as pure CSS backgrounds. I explicitly set the alt on those images to a null alt because they don't contribute to the content.

> Therefore, while I believe your reasoning is valid to a point, I don't
> believe that your solution would bring about the same level of
> accessibility as the img tag would.

Again, looking at my comparison above, if you want to argue that the first example is somehow more accessible than the second one, then yes. I for one would argue that the second example conveys exactly the same information, and allows any user (whether they can see the image or not) to understand the page just fine.

Patrick
--
Patrick H. Lauke
http://redux.deviantart.com