OK everybody. Now back to reality.

He is a real world testing scenario:

I asked a novice/intermediate(?) Internet user without any known disabilities to test a demo page I have created for that purpose (with graphics rendered as background in CSS), and therefore no alt text attributes available, and her first question was: "What do those symbols mean?" .

And she continued: John, and why when I go over the graphics, those little yellow boxes don't appear? I saw that often on other pages, were they explain what the graphics are about.

To this point, I wanted to add here, that not only experienced users are welcome to request any of our services. While to be specific, our tester was a paralegal secretary, and she have requested our services a while ago, for building a web site for the lawyers company she is working with. So I think I cannot consider such employees for example, non-targeted group, or?

So, far I still think it would be appropriate to modify the alt attributes as in previous mails suggested, but for a long description (not longdesc though), I am still not sure about that.

What do you think now?

Thanks again for your kind feedbacks.

Best,

John

David Dixon wrote:
It would be true if this was a page explaining symbols. As it stands, though, the purpose of those images is purely an aesthetic enhancement to accompany the text. They serve no purpose.

But whatever. It's obvious that until you ascribe meaning to those images, we won't agree on this.

You're probably right, unless we agree as the purpose of the image (aesthetic or symbolic) then we'll probably just end up arguing our cases to verbatim. It would be useful to get a few more opinions on what others believe the purpose is, although in the end, I think John, its down to you to decide which camp these images sit in. Not an easy decision based on the too and fro that been going on here though :)

Cheers,

David.

John S. Britsios
Web Architect & Marketing Consultant