Jon,
If you read that spec yourself you will see:
"To associate a label with another control implicitly, the control element must
be within the contents of the LABEL element."

However that is the HTML4 spec of what is valid, not the WCAG spec for what is
advisable (which I have quoted before) and shall paraphrase again:  "Use
explicit labels with all input elements"

The purpose of markup is NOT just to convey structure, it is also sometimes
used to convey functionality, which as I said before is why forms are more
difficult than plain content.
I agree that the semantic purpose of a label is as a description, but here the
funtional purpose is more important, and that is (again quoting the HTML spec):
 "When a LABEL element receives focus, it passes the focus on to its associated
control."
In Internet explorer, clicking on an explicit label does this, but not for an
implicit label. Can you explain why you think that you can ignore the behaviour
of what is (unfortunatly) still the dominant browser, on which plenty of AT
products rely?

Regards,
Mike