Hi Thierry

Microformats use classes to define objects. Granted, this is adding another
layer of complexity as the classes tell the parser that the content within
the container is xxxxxxxxx.

In General, class names should be given thoughtful names to make them easier
to understand and more semantic, but shouldn't be depended on as a
descriptor. Except for the particular patterns established in
microformatting.

(Blantant Plug)
http://www.last-child.com/

Speaking of which, I just posted something about how we are using the object
pattern for the hReview microformat on Yahoo! Tech and will post another
this week on other microformat elements that we're adding this week.  I'll
also post something soon about how you can add the OpenSearch protocol to
your pages to work with IE7 and A9 based search engines.

Ted Drake
Yahoo! Tech

Ian Pouncey wrote:

> According to http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/struct/global.html#h-7.5.2
>
>     The class attribute has several roles in HTML:
>
>         * As a style sheet selector (when an author wishes to assign
>     style information to a set of elements).
>         * For general purpose processing by user agents.
>
> The first is presentational, the second if for describing elements
> beyond what information HTML alone can impart. That's the way I see it
> anyway.

I don't see how a class could "describe" an element (for UAs, not authors).
If there was a known convention on possible values, then I'd agree to say
that it could convey information (other than style), but AFAIK this is not
the case.
I may be missing something though, so I'd be happy to "hear" what others
think about this...

---
Regards,
Thierry | www.TJKDesign.com