Thanks Terrence,

I tried to force change. I made a formal complaint under the Aust 1992 Dis Dis Act stating that I had trouble using a mouse and wanted keyboard access. The bloody dramas that caused! I complained about the Centrelink site, but AGIMO stated that their site was near enough. The Chief Information Officer at AGIMO last worked at Centrelink. I got nowhere and in the end withdrew the complaint or it was going to be struck out by Human Rights who accepted advice from the Aust government department AGIMO that another government department Centrelink was W3C close enough and would be updated anway, so go away.

If I were blind, I would have had a better cause for keyboard access. I could not get any support from any organisations and Vision Australia stated to me in a job interview that they preferred to work with their clients, not beat them over the head.

I prefer the beat them over the head approach having seen the alternative fail so badly, but I have run out of sticks, I update a review of Aust government websites occasionally and try to embarrass them into action. I think they hope none notices except a few of us, certainly there is no organisational support for an action like Maguire v Sydney Olympics, it will take one determined individual to try and force change.

I'm fresh out of sticks and sick of flogging a dead horse.

http://www.hereticpress.com/Dogstar/Publishing/AustWeb.html

Tim
Melbourne

On 30/07/2006, at 11:06 PM, Mark Harris wrote:

Terrence Wood wrote:

> WAI level A is great because you can get there by accident
> (which makes me wonder why so many people just can't do it),
> but I really think e-gov needs to be achieving level 2 compliance.

Oh, I agree completely - I was just trying to set the bar low enough that at least some would pass ;-)

> Do you have any ideas on how to force government entities to comply?
> Personal accountability for stakeholders perhaps?

Apart from holding a gun to their heads? [sigh] I spent most of the 5 years from 2000 to 2005 trying to find ways to encourage NZ govt agencies to do this. I got more traction with commercial web developers than government agencies, sadly.

Which is not to say there aren't plenty of web people in the NZG who believe in accessibility and the Guildelines, because there are. But not their managers or senior managers, it appears.

I think we've got to go through the political reps and hold them accountable, to get them to put pressure on their portfolio agencies, but there always seems to be something with more priority.

> I think their advisors/suppliers (e-i-new media ltd and their ilk)
> should be held accountable as well - and that's easy to do, make it a
> term of the contract for services.

Yep, and many NZ govt agencies do put that in the contracts (which was one of the things we promoted in the Guidelines) but keeping the site compliant once it's built is a different matter.

Cheers

Mark Harris

The Editor
Heretic Press