At 04:00 PM 8/1/2006, TuteC wrote:
Hello all!
I have a rather simple question: does it have any semantical meaning
the name of a div? For example, if I have a <div
class="Distributors"><h3>Distributors</h3></div>, will the search
engine understand the name of the div or di I need that h3 to do that?

I know it has little sense and certainly I use also the h3, but it was
just a question I had.

Also, as <h3> means "Heading 3", what thas "div" mean?
Best regards and thanks in advance;
Eugenio.

Eugenio,

To my knowledge, no search engine attempts to parse the linguistic content of class names or Ids.

"div" is an abbreviation for "division." It means an arbitrary grouping of other elements, without any semantic significance beyond that.

The HTML 4.1 spec says:

"The DIV and SPAN elements, in conjunction with the id and class attributes, offer a generic mechanism for adding structure to documents. These elements define content to be inline (SPAN) or block-level (DIV) but impose no other presentational idioms on the content. Thus, authors may use these elements in conjunction with style sheets, the lang attribute, etc., to tailor HTML to their own needs and tastes."

W3C HTML 4.01 Specification
7 The global structure of an HTML document
7.5.4 Grouping elements: the DIV and SPAN elements
http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/struct/global.html#h-7.5.4

I strongly recommend that you read this entire document -- you need to know your ingredients before you can work wonders in the kitchen.

There are translations available here:
http://www.w3.org/MarkUp/html4-updates/translations

Regards,
Paul