Paul Novitski wrote:
At 11:09 AM 8/11/2006, Designer wrote:
Richard Czeiger wrote:
Hi all  :o)

Just thought I'd throw a bit of code out there and see if anyone thinks it's useful..

Unobtrusive Semantic Branding
http://www.grafx.com.au/dik/branding.html

Yes, it's interesting - but is there an advantage over pure CSS? see [1]. It seems simple, but I knocked it up very quickly, so someone may find a problem . . .

[1]  http://www.marscovista.fsnet.co.uk/template/branding_CSS.html

Bob, you're presenting the markup that Richard's script produces. By the time his script has finished running, his and your solutions are both HTML & CSS. He's just using javascript to automate the distribution of his solution throughout the markup.

Which, of course, is why I missed the reasoning behind the choice of js over html in this case, especially since Richard's approach doesn't work in Opera (yet).

What does make sense -- and this is the intelligence at the core of Richard's script -- is the separation of the brand name from the brand styling. Because his method of branding (applying different colors to substrings within the whole) requires specific markup, he's inserting his classed spans into vanilla markup instead of hard-coding the whole thing in HTML. This is smart. It's the decision to perform this morph after download that I question.

I missed the subtlety of this (too tired!).  Thanks.

--
Best Regards,

Bob McClelland

Cornwall (UK)