wow, thanks kepler.

i implemented your changes, and made a few of my own slight changes, and voila..!

it seems to work perfectly now...

although i did notice another thing now:
in reference to tutec's referall to the fixed footer links, i was able to get it working,
however, i am having trouble defining a certain amount of padding/margins at the bottom of the content,
in order to prevent the footer from covering text when the browser window is too small.

you can recreate this error by resizing the browser window small, and you can see it in IE.
in FF, at least on this page, no content is covered, however it does get covered on some other pages.

tim