IE6 and z-index issues are enough to make Fabio go bald.

IE6 looks not only at the z-index of bob and sue but the z-index of their parents. Does that make sense?

If you want bob to sit on top of sue, Bob’s parent container needs to have a higher z-index than sue’s parents.

It becomes an ugly game of keeping up with the Jones family.

http://www.last-child.com/conflicting-z-index-in-ie6/

when you come across a z-indexed element that needs to sit on top of a select box, you better hope Bob’s grandparents are rich and famous because it takes a hell of a lot of connections to fix this nightmare.

Hedger Wang has a solution http://www.last-child.com/hedger-wang-is-god-well-a-guru-at-least/

Or you could use the Yahoo User Interface library. The container library handles this for you.

Ted