Mel wrote:
on 13/10/2006 19:29 Rob O'Rourke said the following:

I thought the legend tag was supposed to offer some effects for screen readers when reading out the form controls. Out of curiosity do you know which screen reader it is?

JAWS? I've come across some evidence that suggest that, when in Forms Mode, JAWS will only read text enclosed in form controls. Assuming that JAWS correctly identifies legend as a bona fide form control, it should render the legend before reading out the inputs. Text within the form tags that aren't enclosed in form controls, however, may be missed.

I'm currently trying to find out if this is still the case with the latest version of JAWS and whether it's an issue with other screen readers. If it is, it impacts on additional text/instructions that might accompany specific inputs.

JAWS isn't all that good if thats the case... I'm interested in hearing what you find out, i tried installing JAWS once but it broke everything so I've not dared since.

If I we're you I'd just give the legends an accesskey, then you have navigation across more of browser land.

How do you communicate the approprate accesskey to the user? My own research amongst keyboard navigators suggest that very few, if any, will bother to 'learn' accesskeys associated with a specific site. After all, would you? If people don't already 'know' the relevant accesskey, its usefulness becomes debatable.

Mel

Fair point but it depends on a lot of things, if the form is used regularly like a login or cms backend or shopping basket then accesskeys couldn't hurt, although it would require some preamble text to let the user what they are. If Personally if I really needed them I'd learn them but even if the user can't be bothered learning them it couldn't hurt to have them in there whether its on a legend or not.
Interesting topic this one.

   Take it easy,
      Rob