On 20 Oct 2006, at 15:26:10, Lachlan Hunt wrote:

Nick Fitzsimons wrote:
On 20 Oct 2006, at 13:42:51, Anders Nawroth wrote:
Be aware that there are different rules for class names in CSS vs. HTML!

http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/syndata.html#q6
Good point, Anders; Charles, please note this as a correction to the relevant part of my own response to your original question.
I knew I should have double-checked with the CSS spec :-(

No, you were (almost) right the first time, without checking the CSS spec. Even though a class selector may have limitations with which characters it can use directly, escape sequences allow the use of absolutely any character at all. So, if you have a need to use such characters, then you can do so with too much difficulty.

Yes, but the linked part of the CSS 2.1 spec states of identifiers used in CSS, including class names used in class selectors, that "they cannot start with a digit, or a hyphen followed by a digit".

So when I originally stated that "12345 is a valid value for the class attribute" (or words to that effect) I was correct in terms of HTML 4.01, but such a class could not then be the subject of a class selector in CSS.

I think... :-)

Cheers,

Nick.
--