Terrence Wood wrote:
> Recently Derek Powazek reiterated Nielsen's 2003 usability guideline
> [1] about "Never, ever link[ing] to the page you’re on"[2].
>
> I've often thought one of prime motivators for resisting this piece
> of advice on (the front end, at least) is the difficulty one has in
> producing CSS  that doesn't wreck the design of navigation bars he
> <a> is removed.
>
> Here's the easy fix: just remove the href attribute. An anchor
> element sans ANY attribute is perfectly acceptable HTML[3].

I wrote a script [1] awhile ago to do this. I chose not to remove the href
attribute because some browser had problems with it (I think it was Opera).
The script allows the use of an EM too. I think using an EM is not such a
big deal regarding CSS, it is just a matter of adding it to the rules
already used for the A in the stylesheet. Making sure to use the ID of the
menu with it so not all EM elements would inherit these rules...

[1]:
http://www.tjkdesign.com/articles/navigation_links_and_current_location.asp

---
Regards,