On 10/31/06, David Dorward <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On Tue, Oct 31, 2006 at 11:52:48AM -0500, Justin Thorp wrote:

> Does this mean I need to make mobile version of my page with that
> specific DOCTYPE?  How does this work?

I'm yet to run across a (younger than three years) cell phone with a
browser on it that was not entirely happy with my HTML 4.01 Strict as
text/html website.

I suspect that "XHTML is easier to parse and thus can work on phones"
has been beaten by Moore's law.

I don't think it's the question as to whether XHTML 1 or HTML 4 strict
work - they do - and that's cool.  It's more whether the XHTML Basic
(and it's doctype) should be used, and how.

I don't really know the answer.  I'd say if you were producing a page
only intended for mobile, then there's no reason for not using Basic -
but most produce websites for multiple devices, so it seems more
sensible to use HTML 4 strict or XHTML 1.0 and as David points out-
most phones work with both.

--
Frances Berriman
http://fberriman.com