Where I am (Ithaca NY), there's very little CSS-based work; they even
teach outdated practices:
http://www.christianmontoya.com/2006/11/02/advanced-html/

where i am (winfield, alabama) they still use frames and tables and do it wysiwyg.  they know nothing of seo.  a new client can't even use the domain name they are paying for because the host who registered the name registered it in his name and won't transfer the name to them.

sorry, i stray.  when adobe, macromedia and microsoft gave us go live, dreamweaver and front page, they did to web design what george eastman did to photography; everybody became a web designer and a photographer.

i haven't been designing with css and xhtml very long (2 years this past summer) and there is much i still have to learn, but when i knew there was a better way and began to learn about standards i jumped on board with both feet.

i try to promote standards whenever i can.  i try to educate our small client base to the importance of standards and seo.  i might even start a group for web designers in this booming metropolis of around 4,000 and see if we can get together and make the web a better place.

ok, i'm getting delusional, so i'll stop.  in closing, if one designer a day can be brought into the ranks of standards compliant design then there is hope.

dwain