On Sat, 04 Nov 2006 23:29:01 +0000, Nick Roper wrote:

> When the page started out there were no requirements for any dropdown
> navigation, so everything was just handled by #contentLeft. Then a
> request for a dropdown was made and I added the code & css per the
> example on List Apart. The associated javascript uses the #dropnav id to
> apply a class of 'over'  - see below.
>
> Maybe the problems are down to the confusion between #contentLeft and
> #dropnav?
>
> Javascript code is :
>
> startList = function() {
> if (document.all&&document.getElementById) {
> navRoot = document.getElementById("dropnav");
> for (i=0; i<navRoot.childNodes.length; i++) {
> node = navRoot.childNodes[i];
> if (node.nodeName=="LI") {
> node.onmouseover=function() {
> this.className+=" over";
> }
> node.onmouseout=function() {
> this.className=this.className.replace(" over", "");
> }
> }
> }
> }
> }
> window.onload=startList;

Hi Nick,
I'm not familiar with the menu, but glancing at this script I do
notice a test for "document.all". I know that it's unlikely that Opera
would need help from a script. IE 6 and below likely does need this
script. So I wonder if the test for "document.all" is to filter for IE ?

I also know that Opera will return "true" for this condition. So the
script is, in fact, applied by Opera. Maybe start here - does Opera
work okay if you pull the script? If so, you could wrap the script in
a "conditional comment" for IE 6 and below. IE 7 likely does not
need it either. (But test!)

FWIW - More than a few of us went from Opera 7.54 to Opera 9, as the
version 8 added a lot more functionality, and a lot of bugs in the process.

Cordially,
David