I'm trying to convert the main content of a table-based layout to accessible content. The client wants me to prioritize converting the entire site, so it's main content first, then we'll convert everything else. I'm also working on a print/handheld style sheet in this first phase of the conversion.

The layout has a left navigation, header, and footer in tables. I've styled the header and footer for print by using "display:none;", but cannot get my main content all the way over to the left margin. It's as if the left navigation is somehow preventing it from moving all the way over. I even put the entire left navigation in a <div id="mainmenu"> and styled it with:

#mainmenu {display:none !important;}

but to no avail. Also, I've tried pushing the main content over to the left by using a z-index of 1 and a negative left margin...nothing there...the text just disappears under the space for the left navigation.

Could someone please help me? I just know I'll slap my forehead when I see the answer, but for now, I'm just frustrated!

Thanks a bunch!