> The surrounding div of the navigation links (with
> a background colour) is not stretching around the floated link elements, so
> my nice visual effect of the background colour (which also has a bottom
> border another colour) is not being seen. Any suggestions for the best way
> to do that?

The reason your surrounding (or parent) container is not stretching around
the floated links is because parent containers will only wrap around content
that is in normal flow.

As soon as you float an item inside the parent container, the floated item
moves out of normal flow and the parent container cannot detect its height,
and therefore cannot wrap around it. This is explained here:
http://www.maxdesign.com.au/presentation/floatsample/

I generally prefer to float the parent container as well... rather than
adding a clearing element inside the parent. As soon as the parent is
floated, it can determine the heights of any floated items inside it and
will wrap around them.

Thanks
Russ