[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
We come across this sort of thing a lot during user testing and we find that
default text in textboxes and text areas causes loads of problems. However,
using the default value of a combobox as the label generally works well and I
have never seen it cause any problems.

I suppose there could be a minor problem if that field also appears on a
subsequent page (such as in a multi-stage transaction) because it will be then
set to the value the user selected originally rather than the default value.
However, not only is this situation rare, but the user ought to recognise that
it is displaying the value they selected.

The technique works particularly well when more than one combobox is used for
a single piece of data such as date of birth. The use of multiple labels for
such fields causes both visual and audible (for screen readers) clutter, in
which case it is often preferable to have a single text label for the whole
group and use the default combobox values as labels for each field.

Steve Green
Director
Test Partners Ltd / First Accessibility
www.testpartners.co.uk
www.accessibility.co.uk

That's great, thanks Steve and thanks Mike.
Every day's a school day...

Cheers,
Rob