Keryx webb wrote:

<form id="seek" action="seek.php" method="post">
  <fieldset>
    <label for="seektext">Seek: </label>
    <input name="seektext" id="seektext" type="text" />
    <input type="submit" value="sök" />
  </fieldset>
</form>

This is my question, since I do need a containing element for my input elements, but see no real reason to have a "legend", am I misusing the fieldset element?

In a very broad sense, one could argue that every form should at least have one fieldset wrapping everything in it. At that point, though, I'd say that the form itself already acts (semantically/structurally) as the logical container for all the form elements within, and adding an extra fieldset is semantic overkill.

The only real reason I put in the fieldset tags is to comply with the DTD. But perhaps a div would be better?

I'd say a div would be a fair enough choice here

Will screen readers provide any unnecessary information if I do use the fieldset element, that seemed most appropriate for this job? (My only testing tool is Fangs.)

This may be of interest

http://www.rnib.org.uk/wacblog/general-accessibility/too-much-accessibility-fieldset-legends/

Patrick H. Lauke
http://redux.deviantart.com