Paul,

Thanks for the info, my example was symbolic and I realized I had a mistake
after I had sent the email but you are correct, ID names should be only used
once in the body of the page.

It should have been

#id1 > #id2

as now we know it is

#idParent > @idChild

Thanks for the pointers and the help,
Helmut

On 12/28/06, Paul Novitski <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

At 12/27/2006 06:47 PM, Helmut Granda wrote:
>#id > #id
>Does anyone has any information on why is ">" being used?

Read this:

W3C CSS 2.1 Specification
5 Selectors
5.6 Child selectors
http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/selector.html#child-selectors

By the way, I don't know if your example was symbolic or literal, but
you should know that an id should be used only once on a page, so for
example:

violates the spec:

7. The global structure of an HTML document - The HEAD and BODY of a
document
7.5. The document body
7.5.2. Element identifiers: the id and class attributes
http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/struct/global.html#adef-id

"id = name [CS]
     "This attribute assigns a name to an element. This name must be
unique in a document."

Regards,
Paul

...helmut