What about W3C validation especially for business.gov.au 60 HTML
errors, meta tags, alt tags?

I haven't worked on the business.vic.gov.au site since early 2006, but at
the time it had almost perfect validation. There were some errors still
remaining in various pockets of content transferred to the new CMS, but in
general it was pretty good and certainly the home page and major section
pages validated - and they were still working on it. After all, validation
is a requirement for AA and they were determined to reach that

I was dismayed to look at the site yesterday and realise that someone had
replaced all the HTML META elements with XHTML ones, creating a large number
of errors for each page. It is a simple error, but it is one that indicates
that whoever is currently working on the site is probably not very informed
about HTML (or was just very rushed and assumed it was in XHTML!)

These things happen, Tim. It is the nature of the business. Websites are
transitory beasts, by design

I just completed a brief review of a small sample of AIMIA winners for
W3C validation, the few I tested did not validate!

I can't speak to the others, but it doesn't surprise me. As I said
previously, validation was in no way a requirement for the AIMIA awards

The McFarlane awards had better standards and expert judges. AIMIA
sites are better than the AGIMO .gov award winners!

I agree entirely. A lot of it comes down to the guidelines of the award
scheme and the varying expertise of the judges involved.  The McFarlane
prize had very specific guidelines that focused on standards and what most
people on this list probably consider to be 'best practice'. They also chose
their judges very carefully to be experts in their field

AIMIA has many many more sites to judge (from appearances, I have no actual
figures) and thus uses many many more judges. Without rigid judging
criteria, that is going to lead to varied results depending on varied
expertise of the judges. Some judges would obviously have a standards focus,
but many would not.

Even amongst those who are standards focused, expertise in varying areas is
going to differ. I'd certainly be happy to assess sites based on their code
whether it is HTML, CSS, JavaScript, XML. I could evaluate their validation,
semantics, accessibility, elegance etc. But I would do less well (probably,
much less well) at evaluating a site in terms of specific usability, or
design. Those aren't my areas and I wouldn't judge them well

I'd suggest that the judges of the AIMIA awards would have similar
difficulties with some areas depending on their own particular expertise.
None of us are experts at everything

Lachlan Hardy