What impact does this have on people who have just made the transistion to
xHTML 1 like me?

For now, nothing. In future there should be a better option than XHTML
1, but it's not here yet.

I'm an avid supporter of the web standards and have been guiding many in the
ways of xHTML and validating... but it seems the issue is becoming ever more
complicated, rather than clearer, as time goes by.

Rather than having one standard to follow, there seems to be more and more
"standards".  Personally I feel like despite my best efforts to be a good
web designer, its becoming ever more troublesome and I'm finding myself
spending more time trying to keep on the ball than actually working and
earning a living.

I wouldn't get too worried here... we're only talking about two
alternatives :) I think it's likely that one or the other will emerge
as the accepted standard, then you'll have the choice of moving to
that standard as your build standard. Remember you only use one at a
time, regardless of how many there are out there.

If you can make the transition from building valid HTML 4 to valid
XHTML 1, then you have most likely picked up a good understanding of
the differences. To do that, you've developed the ability to read
specs and use tools to help you build to a standard. Those skills are
transportable - you will know the principles of how to read the next
spec, and how to use the next validator. So if and when you decide to
build to a different standard, you'll know what it is you're doing.

Just a thought, anyway :)

cheers,

Ben

--
--- <http://www.200ok.com.au/>
--- The future has arrived; it's just not