given they are doing it with -engine-rule their shouldn't be a problem (the
w3c recommends this method for non standard rules).

...which is funny since I've heard they resist the idea of an
engine-based selector rule!

e.g you could have an opacity rule like :
[snip]
and the browser engine should pick up the one it supports best. As the
engines work out any bugs with opacity (for example) they will hopefully end
up using opacity : 50; and you will end up with something like this,
assuming MS sits on their keyboards.

My concern with this whole approach is expecting people to go back and
remove the non-standard rules. In the real world we're going to be
stuck with the non-standard stuff for a long time to come; particuarly
when developers use them without understanding the full situation.

Not all developers know the standards as well as the average reader on
this list. Plenty learn by copying other CSS, so they might not even
know that -moz-opacity *isn't* standard (don't scoff, it happens!).

I don't immediately see the benefit to the UA developers using a
custom rule... Why not just use the real thing? I can only assume
there's something about the process that I'm not aware of.

-Ben

--
--- <http://weblog.200ok.com.au/>
--- The future has arrived; it's just not