It's not just blind users. In our user testing we find that new windows
cause problems for many user groups, although the reasons differ.

Screen magnifier users are often unaware that a new window has opened
because even a relatively small window fills their entire screen area.

Screen reader users are notified that a new window is opening but sometimes
don't notice this warning because they are still digesting the content they
were listening to on the previous page.

Even a fully able user with voice recognition software repeatedly failed to
notice new windows opening in some recent tests we conducted. I believe this
is purely due to a lack of attention, perhaps because the voice recognition
software and a large screen allow the user to adopt a more relaxed, distant
viewing position.

We also find that people are very selective in what they read, and often
miss very clear instructions stating that new windows will open or the new
page contains a different document format. I really don't know how you
address this other than by not opening new windows and not using alternative
document formats.

With regard to the document format, all the assistive technologies mentioned
above behave differently when reading PDFs, Word documents etc compared with
HTML pages. Very often the users did not notice the change of format and
were hence confused because the pages did not respond as expected. By all
means provide these formats for downloading and distribution but wherever
possible it is best to keep to HTML.

Steve Green
Director
Test Partners Ltd / First Accessibility