       This is a one-way list for WSG Announcements
This email covers:
- Links for light reading
- WSG and Industry events
- Industry related jobs

If you have an event, resource or relevant job you'd like posted (from any
country), please let me know - [EMAIL PROTECTED]

----------------------------------
LINKS FOR LIGHT READING
----------------------------------

This weeks "links for light reading" are also available here:
<http://www.maxdesign.com.au/2008/01/02/some-links-156/>

End of Support for Netscape web browsers
<http://blog.netscape.com/2007/12/28/end-of-support-for-netscape-web-browser
s/>

Internet Explorer 8 and Acid2: A Milestone
<http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/2007/12/19/internet-explorer-8-and-acid2-a
-milestone.aspx>

Year zero
<http://adactio.com/journal/1393/>

The Best Web 2.0 Applications For Education ‹ 2007
<http://larryferlazzo.edublogs.org/2007/12/21/the-best-web-20-applications-f
or-education-2007/>

Twelve Predictions for 2008
<http://www.cmswatch.com/Feature/172-2008-Predictions?source=RSS>

Ten things that will change your future
<http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/ten-things-that-will-change-your-future
/2007/12/31/1198949747758.html?page=fullpage#contentSwap1>

Innovation Predictions 2008
<http://www.businessweek.com/innovate/content/dec2007/id20071213_733494.htm>

The shape of things to come
<http://www.guardian.co.uk/g2/story/0,,2229074,00.html?gusrc=rss&feed=techno
logy>

Facebook, Lifelets, and Designer Responsibility
<http://bokardo.com/archives/facebook-lifelets-and-designer-responsibility/>

CSS for Accessibility
<http://24ways.org/2007/css-for-accessibility>

Stretchy Images with HTML and CSS
<http://www.sitepoint.com/blogs/2007/12/20/stretchy-images-with-html-and-css
/>

A (CMS) holiday wishlist
<http://www.cmswatch.com/Trends/1093-A-holiday-wishlist?source=RSS>

Design bookmarklet
<http://www.sprymedia.co.uk/article/Design>

They shoot standardistas, don¹t they?
<http://blog.fawny.org/2007/12/23/janefonda/>

How to contain floats with no extra markup
<http://tjkdesign.com/articles/clearing-floats_and_block-formatting_context.
asp>

How to create drop shadow boxes with "minimal" markup
<http://tjkdesign.com/articles/drop-shadow_and_AlphaImageLoader.asp>

----------------------------------
WSG AND INDUSTRY EVENTS
----------------------------------

Web Direction North '08
---------------
Dates: 28-Jan-08 to 2-Feb-08
City: Vancouver (Canada)
Following great success in 2007, Web Directions North returns in January
2008 for another year of enlightenment, inspiration, networking, and of
course snowboarding.
http://north08.webdirections.org/

Techshare India 2008
---------------
Date: 4-Feb-08 to 5-Feb-08
City:  New Delhi (India)
Breaking the Barriers is the first ever accessibility
conference-exhibition bringing the entire ecosystem; the government, the
corporates, the NGOs, the disabled, the product companies, and the education
providers under one roof.
http://www.barrierbreak.com/techshareindia.php

Linux.conf.au
---------------
Dates: 28-Jan-08 to 2-Feb-08
City: Melbourne (Australia)
Next year from January 28th - February 2nd, Melbourne will host one of the
world's best FOSS conferences: Linux.conf.au.  On the last day, Saturday
February 2nd we will be running an Open Day for the general public to
showcase open source.  The 2007 open day had a fantastic line-up of
Displays.
http://www.linux.org.au/conf/2007/OpenDay.html

Dojo Toolkit Training
---------------
Date: 6-Feb-08 to 8-Feb-08
Location: Sydney (Australia)
Dojo hit 1.0 a couple of weeks ago. It is a great toolkit for building
rich AJAX web apps. Topics Covered: Dojo Base and Dojo Core, Dijit, DojoX,
Dojo Utilities APIs and development issues discussed include: Ajax, Events,
DOM, query, and behavior, Effects, Data providers and Wire, RPC and JSONP,
Custom Dijit Development, dojo.declare and other advanced JavaScript
language constructs and more! Course runs 3 days, it is $2500USD, you need
intermediate or expert javascript skills and you will need to BYOL (bring
your own laptop)
http://www.sitepen.com/training.php?eventId=27

Webstock 08
---------------
Dates: 11-Feb-08 to 15-Feb-08
City: Wellington (New Zealand)
5 full-on days. 9 hands-on workshops. 19 kick-ass speakers. 24 must-see
presentations. Truckloads of design, development, user experience, web
standards, content, community, innovation & inspiration.
http://www.webstock.org.nz

HotMobile 2008
---------------
Dates: 25-Feb-08 to 26-Feb-08
City: Napa Valley (USA)
The Ninth Workshop on Mobile Computing Systems and Applications (HotMobile)
continues the series of highly selective, interactive workshops focused on
mobile applications, systems, and environments, as well as their underlying
state-of-the-art technologies. HotMobile's small workshop format makes it
ideal for presenting and discussing new directions or controversial
approaches.
http://prisms.cs.umass.edu/hotmobile2008/

South By South West
---------------
Dates: 7-Mar-08 to 11-Mar-08
City: Austin, Texas (USA)
The SXSW Interactive Festival features five days of exciting panel content
and amazing parties. Attracting digital creatives as well as visionary
technology entrepreneurs, the event celebrates the best minds and the
brightest personalities of emerging technology.
http://2008.sxsw.com/interactive/

Ausweb 08
---------------
Dates: 5-Apr-08 to 9-Apr-08
City: Ballina (Australia)
In April 2008 (5th-9th) the 14th Australasian World Wide Web Conference,
AusWeb08, will again be held at the Ballina Beach Resort.
http://ausweb.scu.edu.au/

CHI 2008
---------------
Date: 5-Apr-08 to 10-Apr-08
City: Florence (Italy)
CHI 2008 focuses on the balance between art and science, design and
research, practical motivation and the process that leads the way to
innovative excellence. It is about balance in our rapidly evolving field,
the balance between individuals and groups, collocated and remote,
stationary and mobile, in both our local and global communities.
http://www.chi2008.org/

webDU 2008
---------------
Dates: 7-May-08 to 9-May-08
City: Sydney (Australia)
And so it begins -- the sixth Asia-Pacific web developers conference, web
DownUnder 2008!
http://www.webdu.com.au/go/call-for-papers

JOBS

No jobs this week

Did I miss an event, resource or job in your city? If you have an event,
resource or relevant job you'd like posted (from any country), please let me
know - [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Thanks
Russ