       This is a one-way list for WSG Announcements
This email covers:
- Links for light reading
- WSG and Industry events
- Industry related jobs

If you have an event, resource or relevant job you'd like posted (from any
country), please let me know - [EMAIL PROTECTED]

----------------------------------
LINKS FOR LIGHT READING
----------------------------------

This weeks "links for light reading" are also available here (for those who
click on the links below and find that they are broken):
<http://www.maxdesign.com.au/2008/11/18/some-links-203/>

Sample Size Oddities
<http://www.uxmatters.com/MT/archives/000352.php>

floatitis pt6
<http://www.onderhond.com/blog/work/floatitis-pt6-conclusion>

The Best Cheat Sheets for Web Developers
<http://www.webappers.com/2008/11/05/best-cheat-sheets-for-web-developers/>

50+ Gorgeous Navigation Menus
<http://vandelaydesign.com/blog/galleries/inspirationalnavigation-menus/>

jQuery Corners
<http://www.atblabs.com/jquery.corners.html>

People Are From Earth, Machines Are From Outer Space
<http://www.jnd.org/dn.mss/people_are_from_eart.html>

Designing Tables for Usability
<http://aenui.com/user-interface/designing-tables-for-usability/>

JS-909: A drum machine in JavaScript
<http://www.themaninblue.com/writing/perspective/2008/11/17/>

Are Accessibility Statements Useful?
<http://www.digital-web.com/articles/are_accessibility_statements_useful/>

Lessons Learned while Building an iPhone Site
<http://code.flickr.com/blog/2008/10/27/lessons-learned-while-building-an-ip
hone-site/>

15 Useful Project Management Tools
<http://www.smashingmagazine.com/2008/11/13/15-useful-project-management-too
ls/>

Download free ColdFusion code, examples, MS SQL code and examples, CFCs,
classes and more
<http://www.clickfind.com.au/developers-directory/code.cfm>

jive - social networking for your gran
<http://www.industrialdesignserved.com/Gallery/jive-social-networking-for-yo
ur-gran_/94301>

Mapanui - a pocket map for your browser
<http://www.mapanui.com/>

30 Beautiful Examples of Grunge in Web Design
<http://sixrevisions.com/web_design/30-beautiful-examples-of-grunge-in-web-d
esign/>

PR 2.0: Introducing The Conversation Prism
<http://www.briansolis.com/2008/08/introducing-conversation-prism.html>

conversationprism wiki
<http://conversationprism.wikispaces.com/>

Lorem 2: An all-around better Lorem experience
<http://lorem2.com/>

Agile Development Projects and Usability
<http://www.useit.com/alertbox/agile-methods.html>

----------------------------------
WSG AND INDUSTRY EVENTS
----------------------------------

Web Application Design Training Workshop
---------------
Date: 19-Nov-08
City: Brisbane (Australia)
Processes and interface design fundamentals for designing usable web
applications - one day course. From internet banking, online learning,
government transactional sites to employee phonebooks, online projects
increasingly include elements of web application design. This course will
explore the value and limitations of building a web application and
introduce a range of tools, approaches and interface design principles to
ensure that you understand your audience and design intuitive and usable web
applications.
<http://www.peakusability.com.au/training/web-applications.html>

Interaction Design Training Workshop
---------------
Date: 20-Nov-08
City: Brisbane (Australia)
Human characteristics and theoretical principles for usable web
applications, intranet and internet sites - one day course. Ever wonder why
users don't behave how you expect? Ever done usability testing or found
usability issues but didn't know how to fix them? This course will provide
an insight into human characteristics and online behaviour based on latest
research and hundreds of usability tests with users, including video footage
of usability test sessions. We will also cover the theory and principles of
interaction design.
<http://www.peakusability.com.au/training/interaction-design.html>

Mental Models: Aligning web design strategy with human behaviour
---------------
Date: 19-Nov-08 and 20 Nov-08
City: Sydney (Australia)
Indi Young from the USA will give you a deep understanding of people's
motivations and thought-processes, along with the emotional and
philosophical landscape in which they are operating. You use mental models
to align your web design strategy with how people work. This intensive
two-day course will help product designers, web designers and business
strategists develop digital, physical, and environmental interactions that
help people accomplish their goals.
<http://www.keyforums.com.au>

Wordcamp Australia
---------------
Dates: 29-Nov-08 to 30-Nov-08
Ciy: Sydney (Australia)
"WordCamp Australia is being held on the 29th and 30th of November in
Sydney, Australia. WordCamp is a conference centred around the popular
wordpress platform. Matt Mullenweg, chief architect of WordPress, will be
keynoting the event alongside several other prominent members of the
wordpress community. Ticket prices are currently set at $60, and you can get
yours at http://wordcamp-australia-2008.eventbrite.com/.
<http://wordcamp.com.au/>

Ruxcon 2008
---------------
Dates: 29-Nov-08
Ciy: Sydney (Australia)
Ruxcon is Australia's premier technical computer security conference,
held annually at the University of Technology (UTS), Sydney. After a
break in 2007, Ruxcon is back and bigger than ever. Ruxcon brings together
the best and the brightest security talent in the Australia-Pacific region
through live presentations, activities, and demonstrations. Ruxcon 2008 will
be held on the weekend of the to the 30th of November at the University of
Technology, Sydney. Doors open at 8:30am and the first presentation
commences at 9:30am.
<http://www.ruxcon.org.au>

WIPA Web Accessibility 2.0 Seminar - Brisbane
Dates: 2-Dec-08
City: Brisbane (Australia)
Version 2 of the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG 2.0) is about to
be released, introducing some changes in the recommendations for website
accessibility. WIPA is presenting this afternoon seminar to help the web
community understand WCAG 2.0 and prepare sites with improved accessibility.
<http://wipa.org.au/event/152>

Web-Blast Canberra