  _____

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Matt Graham
Sent: Saturday, March 29, 2008 2:53 PM
To: 'FLEAA Mailing List'
Subject: Re: [FLEAA] Electric Drag Racing at Moroso Friday Night!

Hey Andrew,

Last night was really a lot of fun, although the whole day was a lot of work
and I am beat! The day started at 7 AM at Central Auto Trim in West Palm
Beach. I started ripping out the old battery hardware and cabling, as well
as the Zilla and Hairball controller. The Discovery Channel film crew showed
up at 11 AM and began filming the whole process and getting some interviews
for their upcoming series, “Planet Green.” Shawn Lawless showed up at 12:30
or so, did some interviews and then the work began to complete the
installation of a 370V Lithium Ion battery pack and his Z2K-EHV motor
controller and Hairball. We had to repurpose all the contactors and cabling,
and drop both motors to rewire some of the connections. We got all this done
by about 5:30 PM—less than 5 hours for almost the complete swap!

Once we got to Moroso, we still needed to complete some wiring and address
some pesky troubleshooting issues. It wasn’t until 10 PM that the car was
fully functional and able to make 3 runs down the track. Each time there
were some fireworks from the arcing brushes so we were never able to get a
full-power run all the way down the track. Still, Joule Injected ran a 13.95
second quarter mile at 85 mph—the exact same speed that I completed the 1/8
mile in.

While work on Joule Injected was going on, both the Porsche 944 and Shawn
Lawless’ “AGNuS” electric motorcycle were busy setting records in the ¼ mile
for their respective classes. Lowell ran a 15.22 at 93 mph and the
motorcycle had a best time of 10.63 at 115 mph.

There should be some great footage of the whole process. I’ll keep everyone
posted on when this series might start. It could be some time if they are
just beginning to put together content for each episode.

After pulling out the battery pack and controller, and then towing the car
back from the track, we didn’t get home until 1 AM. Long day, but definitely
worth it.

Congratulations to Lowell Simmons and Shawn Lawless on their new NEDRA
records!

Matt Graham

http://www.jouleinjected.com <http://www.jouleinjected.com/>

  _____