Sorry guys I haven't been following this thread until now, but as soon as
saw "stuck on crawling" it made me think of a recent problem I had with
SQLSP1, maintenance plans and corrupt indexes

http://www.cleverworkarounds.com/2008/07/09/office-server-search-memory-leak
-and-stuck-on-crawling/

Also check the personalisation service permissions of the crawler account in
the SSP. I've seen this stick because the crawler can't access the user
profile store.

Hope that helps

Paul