Few points:

·         Let’s agree to disagree, as clearly we’re at opposite ends on this
one ☺

·         It looks pretty good? Any indication as to what you’re about to do
with it or is this just what you’ve read from first impressions off their
initial press releases? (curious to see how well you’ve digested the entire
story around this).

·         There’s a lot more to just playing video, folks tend to want to add
other elements and factors to the video story online, given advertising + video
seems to be a hot topic online at the moment. Flash whilst having a fairly
ubiquitous story online, still has had troubles with low quality video mixed
with reduced ‘stickiness’ online. During the Olympics, when the world was
craving for online video, the best day Flash had was 3mins+ per session on
average. We had 26mins+ on average
(http://blogs.msdn.com/msmossyblog/archive/2008/10/30/the-olympic-numbers-are-in.aspx).
 Given they are reacting to Microsoft Silverlight (by their own admission) and
going by their history in this space whilst adding the TCO etc, like I said,
the Jury is still out on what exactly this really means and how well Flash 10
is likely to perform overall.

·         Partnerships with both CDN’s and the “Cloud” are something that is
likely to be the next wave of influence around online video, not to mention the
strong trends towards Advertising and TV networks looking to secure their
assets online to prevent piracy – DRM (hate it or love it). There is more to
this story than just having a bit more performance. How do you send video to
the new feature, how does one keep track of the bandwidth etc.. How does it
play well with other features within the runtime, how easily are things
configured to ensure it plays well (eg seen the Amazon + Flash Media server
debacle?)

·         Silverlight offers both VC-1 today, and we’ve announced we’re going
to support H.264 going forward, this will put the runtime in a favorable
position to allow companies both options. Furthermore, Windows Media Server
2008 and Smooth Streaming are on the horizons as well are offered at a
significantly lower price. Expression Media Encoder also provides hardware
encoding as well. Point is, we’re making strong bets in both the server, client
and cloud to ensure video kick starts to the next wave. We’re not playing the
reactive game, it’s proactive and furthermore offering free HD hosting via
silverlight.live.com is also part of our approach – so yeah, I think
Silverlight is not only the real deal but the cheapest but without a reduction
in quality.

·         If flash is your cup of tea, that’s perfectly fine. I’m not going to
think ill of folks adopting Flash, as it’s really comes down to what problems
you’re trying to solve, how much investment your about to unload and where you
think it will take you down the road. If Flash offers an edge over Silverlight,
then my only query is – “tell me what we missed, so I can ensure the next
releases cover it..”

HTH.
Scott.
P.S
If you prefer to debate offline happy to do so, just conscious of peoples inbox
and I don’t see this going anywhere productive is all?