Hi Bill,

I wondered the same things.  (By the way, number 2 has a typo -- it should
read Do they TAKE a long view of learning to write).  What I love about
these questions is that they sort of shy away from the standard jargon of
the writing process, and asks both teacher and student to take a look at
themselves as writers in a different light.  A reflection on the writer is
required to answer these questions.  I think in order to teach the writing
process and all the components that go along with it, kids need to see
themselves as writers.

I participated in the Connecticut Writing Project during the summer of 1999,
and it totally changed me and how I teach writing.  Why?  Because for the
first time I saw myself as a writer, and others validated me as a writer.
It was such an "aha" moment for me!  I realized that writing takes time,
effort and patience.  I realized that writers don't always have to produce a
final product -- that the process is just as important.  I realized that I
needed multiple sources to write -- including a group of writers to offer
both positive feedback and constructive criticism.  What a powerful message
to share with our students!

I like the idea of a survey for students.  I might give them the same survey
a few times a year, and generate a discussion about the changes that they
have in their answers.    Some questions I might add to a survey might be:
What do you think a good writer needs to do in order to write well?  How do
you decide which pieces of writing are the good ones?

I am in the process of trying to develop a writing curriculum.  I am curious
about what others use to assess students' writing, and how you build a
writing community so that kids are not afraid to take a risk.

Kim