From: Alan Lewis
Sent: Wednesday, December 21, 2011 7:18 PM
To: liveaboard@liveaboardonline.com
Subject: Re: [Liveaboard] EXT : Any other lists more active?

Although this year seems (so far) to be an exception, the last few years I had
to shovel a 30 foot path of 15-20 inches of snow several times just to get to
where I normally stow the ladder alongside the boat (the Shipyard plows a
single car-width access road to the storage area).   The solar panel approach
is certainly an option, but given that I probably burn less than a gallon of
gasoline all winter for the generator, it really isn't cost effective.  I need
to check on the integrity of the cover every now and then anyway and it's no
big deal to hook up the generator and to let it run for an hour or so.

It all comes with a normal New England winter.  Hopefully we'll have some snow
for Christmas this year.  Of course, we had snow for Halloween this year which
left us without power for four days (at least those who don't have a big fixed
generator for their house like me).  We provided hot showers, computer and
cellphone charging, and water for all of our neighbors (we are all on wells).
I'd still rather be living aboard all winter like we did in the early 80's in
CT.  Those were good times!

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all.

Alan

Alan Lewis
"Victoria"
Gulfstar 41 #160